The month of March is a busy one. I travel frequently for work, so when I am home between travel I make healthy food choices. Knowing that my healthy, Whole30 compliant, options at conferences, meetings, and in the airport are limited, I make great choices when I am at home. This salad is one of my favorites. It is so quick and easy. Pair it with steak, chicken, or fish and your taste buds will have you wanting more.
During a busy month, my body has me craving this salad. I try to make the best choices when I am on the road, but it isn’t always easy. You will never find me in a drive-thru line, but I also know even a hotel salad has high sodium and sugary dressing.
I always pick the best choices when traveling, but I also don’t complicate things. Why bother if it is complicated, right? I make it easy through moderation. I am never going to be that person that packs Tessemaes in their purse, because I am scared of non-compliant salad dressing. That is not sustainable long-term. Moderation is the key to ensure consistency and happy results.
However, when I am at home (only 11 days in March) I do make the absolute best food choices. For example, I had a week-long conference in Tampa the first week in March. It was one of those meetings where I knew I would have hotel food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. The week before, I only ate lean meats and vegetables. In Tampa, I would have eggs and fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and I usually would have a drink with my dinner. I would skip the dessert line and midday snacks, knowing I was sitting for most of the day, and having foods that were cooked in oils I never use at home.
I can’t reiterate that moderation is key. Have the beer and eat the cake….but you can only choose one and it is only one or two days a month. Trust me though, this kale salad is better than any dessert. It is refreshing, delicious, and a great addition to any meal. Quick and easy for those busy months. Did I mention that is March for me?
Kale Apple Whole30 Salad
- 6 cups of kale – stems removed (I love Trader Joe’s organic bagged kale mix)
- 2 pounds of cooked chicken breast finely chopped (seasoned with your favorite spices and baked)
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 granny smith apple thinly sliced
- 1 red sweet apple thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews for salad
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tbs of garlic power
- 1 fresh jalapeno seeded
- 1/2 cup cashews for dressing
- Preheat oven and cook chicken breast
- Devine kale leaves in large salad bowl
- While chicken is cooking, cut apples and carrots to mix in with stemless kale leaves
- Mix together in immersion blender olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic powder, jalapeno, 1/2 cup of cashews, and salt & pepper
- Shred chicken and place on salad mixture
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well
- Garnish with remaining roasted cashews or nut of choice
Leave a Reply