I named my first blog recipe after my mom. It is a delicious kale salad, and there is some humor behind it. My mom hates kale and Whole30, so with a little humor and a lot of love I decided to name one of my new favorite summer salads after her.
I did my first Whole30 in September of 2016. It changed my way of looking at food. Since then, we try to eat whole for most of our meals. I travel frequently for my job (I am currently posting from a hotel now), so eating whole foods on the road can be difficult. When at home, we do our best to eat foods that are fresh, healthy, and sugar free.
Here is one of my favorite new salad recipes. I am hoping since I named it after my mom, she will give kale a chance (love you, Mom). This is so tasty that I think she might just enjoy kale this time.
- 5 Cups Kale (Tessemaes has a great new deveined kale – more pricey, but I hate kale with stems. This is perfect)
- 1 Package of Trader Joe’s Shredded Brussel Sprouts
- ½ Cup Shredded Carrots
- 4 Pieces of Applegate Sugar-free Bacon
- ½ Cup Small Diced Red Onion
- ½ Trader Joe’s Thompson Sugar-free Raisins
- ½ Cup Sliced Almonds
- Shrimp (optional for protein)
- 1 Cub Tessemae’s Ranch
- 2 Tbsp. Tessemae’s BBQ
- Toast almonds until golden brown on medium. Watch closely and decrease heat to avoid burning.
- Shred brussels using a food processor. If you are using the Trader Joe’s shredded brussels, then you should not have to cut ends off.
- In a large salad bowl combine all salad ingredients with the toasted almonds (you can also use food processor for sliced almonds if preferred)
- Put Tessemae’s Ranch and BBQ in mason jar (shake until combined)
- Pour dressing over salad and mix with your good ole fashion hands
It is so fresh and perfect for these hot summer days. I think this recipe is so great even my mom may give it a chance. Enjoy!
It’s a delicious salad! Great combination of crisp and crunch.
Can’t wait to try this! Thanks Katie.